- Lisa Murkowski (R-AK), who would have chaired the critical Energy and Natural Resources committee, lost to the pal of former Governor Palin, despite having good polling and money in the bank.
- Senator John McCain (R-AZ) uses “danged” in a TV ad and is praised for it.
- Senator Blanche Lincoln (D-AR) fights against union funding by turning out female votes in both the Primary and runoff.
- The Colorado Republican establishment flounders, for the fourth cycle in a row, in getting their choices through the state convention and the primary.
- People actually thought Florida attorney general Bill McCollum (R) was the candidate of the future in the gubernatorial primary.
- MN primary voting Democrats pick ex-Senator Mark Dayton as their nominee over the woman who won the party’s endorsement at the convention.
- NV Republicans had 13 choices in the Senate primary, but most voters were unhappy with all of them.
- A summer camp counselor vaporized more than one establishment candidate for the Republican nomination in OK 5.
- A relatively unknown upset winner Senate candidate who might have been a Buddhist witch raised over $1 million within a week of her nomination without holding a single fundraising event.
- NY Republican chair (the son-in-law of the late President Nixon) makes wrong moves up and down the ballot. His miscalculations include getting his son into a House primary where he was trounced.
We have been saying that this election we have a crazy cycle and if Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert’s Rally to Restore Sanity isn’t enough to convince you already, we have the top 10, jaw dropping moments that prove that anything can happen in the next 2 days.
There is a time for politics and a time for governing. The time for politics is over the time for governing is upon us.